Aloha, glad to be here

Hey you beautiful mofos! Coming here from Manjaro, and am very impressed with EOS after testing it in VirtualBox. Been using Linux full-time for about 2 years now and I’d say I’m at an intermediate comfort level with it now.

Is there anything important to know for someone coming from Manjaro?

6 Likes

Welcome.

I can’t offer any help here but I am sure there are more qualified users that post here who can :smiley:

3 Likes

Sudo update-grub doesn’t work unless your download it from the AUR. Otherwise not much.

7 Likes

Just do a clean install. Migrating from Manjaro is possible, but it is horribly complicated and can lead to troubles.

Pamac can be installed from endeavourOS repository and do not forget: you’ll be with the mother of Manjaro. So more “root” in some ways.

6 Likes

Aren’t you mixing up your own repo? To avoid confusion, Pamac is available in the AUR.

(desolee, Fred I forgot which version is yours.)

2 Likes

Thanks! I’ve generally gotten myself used to installing primarily via pacman, but do enjoy pamac for discovery, especially in the AUR.

I was a bit underwhelmed when I ran which update-grub on my Manjaro laptop and then cat /usr/bin/update-grub. I expected it to be some fancy, clever script that did miracles. Instead, it’s literally this:

#! /bin/sh
grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

That’s it. It could have been a bash alias. There is no need to install this from the AUR :rofl:

4 Likes

I meant pamac-aur, not pamac! And mine is git version.

I need a big cup of :coffee: this morning. No, two!

5 Likes

Lentement… c’est dimanche, hein!

Relax, it’s sunday!

3 Likes

Well… I hate both sundays and mondays… So… :smiley:

3 Likes

Clean install and then manually import bits and bobs until you break it, then fix it.
That’s the fun part :wink:
@anon379864 any colour you like as long as it’s :purple_circle: not :green_apple:

3 Likes

Oh my head. Does that work in reverse too?

:crazy_face:

Needs more poiple. Always more poiple. Poiple rulz.
When in doubt, add more poiple.

1 Like

No need for sure. I’m just lazy and can never remember that whole mkconfig -o. . . . It’s very simple and helps (enables) me.

ComplicatedWildKitten-small

1 Like

I have it as an alias, myself - but I don’t use it much - I go with rEFInd… :grin:

1 Like

You are welcome!

1 Like

Welcome to the fun :beers:

1 Like