Almost there!

In a few days, I will have surpassed using EOS continually without a broken system, beating my Manjaro setup over the last few years!
Imagine that, no breakage for longer than manjaro which is supposed to be more stable!
I just wanted to thank all the devs and the community which has been awesome!

18 Likes

I don’t remember how long I had a non-breaking experience with Manjaro, but I can say that I had absolutely zero breaking experience since my coming to EndeavourOS (and with at least one update each day) :wink:

4 Likes

same here :ok_hand:t2:

3 Likes

I have a feeling I’ll easily surpass the 6ish months Manjaro could hold itself together. :enos:

Pamac is just awful when it comes to updates or installing packages, sometimes.

4 Likes

I have always had more stable experiences the closer to pure Arch I’ve been.
Including a noticeable improvement in stability switching From Manjaro stable to Manjaro Testing, incredibly enough.

6 Likes

Agreed. Pamac is a nice “app store”, but as a package manager, I don’t trust it to be reliable. I noticed this after a few months of using Manjaro, when it made a mess uninstalling some dependencies. Since I don’t need an “app store”, I removed Pamac from my Manjaro installs and, to my surprise at the time, Manjaro worked fine without Pamac, and with only pacman and yay, using Manjaro was a much nicer experience.

Of course, I don’t use Manjaro any more, and here on EndeavourOS, it is pointless to use Pamac, in my opinion.

4 Likes

I always use pamac for searches and analyzes but install and update thru pacman / yay in terminal.

4 Likes

That’s how I used it on Manjaro, too. Nothing wrong with that. But since I removed it I got into a habit of searching these:

Or just by using pacman -Ss for repos and yay -Ssa for the AUR (or even simpler: yay -Ss for both the repos and the AUR).

5 Likes

I am doing something similar, but with Octopi instead of Pamac

2 Likes

When I first moved to Endeavour I was using Pamac because it was a habit from the Manjaro days but now I only use the terminal except when searching for software.

2 Likes

I also liked Octopi better when I was still using M* KDE.

2 Likes

Yep. Though I had to learn that the hard way.

Despite running Linux for years, I’m still very much a noob. It was always very easy to just click a few buttons on pretty much any distro and have everything done for you (at least on the “beginner friendly” distros).

These are my first steps on actually learning and understanding what’s going on exactly. Surprisingly, not as hard as I expected, mostly…

2 Likes

So am I, welcome to the beginners club!

I have learned more in the month since I started using WOS than in all the years before.

5 Likes

Heh. Personally I am now running two apps as flatpaks for the first time ever: Firefox and Spotify (No, not thru Google Software but thru terminal).

Added it to my update alias, so I have an alias called “system-update” that runs “yay -Syu && flatpak update”. Handy.

2 Likes

me 2 :+1:t2:

3 Likes

Are there any advantages of using FF as a flatpak instead of the repos?

Not REALLY except for an automatic level of sandboxing.

In one year, Manjaro Linux had a single error that required manual intervention when updating packages, and EOS did not have a single such case.

1 Like