All this Archlinux User Groups needed?

Then why put the user in the sys group when its purpose (administer to printers via CUPS) is replicated in the wheel group? You would use the sys group to give a user without sudo privileges the right to administer to printers.

sys - Right to administer printers in CUPS.

wheel - Administration group, commonly used to give privileges to perform administrative actions. It has full read access to journal files and the right to administer printers in CUPS.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/users_and_groups#User_groups

I doubt that thereā€™s any real need for the rfkill group. The private (self-named) group and wheel should be all that is needed unless the user has a specific need for other groups. Hell, I donā€™t even use the wheel group - that just means I have to use the sudo command for a few tasks that wheel users donā€™t need sudo for (for example, sudo journalctl vs journalctl to view all system journal).

1 Like

Actually, the discussion is a little off (topic?) and not exactly clear.
Setting which groups are added by the installer to the basic user (administrator) is different from what groups are required from a non-superuser added after installation by the local admin.
The first/basic/admin user, being in the wheel group, has all required privilege for a normal user needs.
In a real (corporate?) multi-user system, each user would have restricted group membership according to their needs.
In a home/desktop multi-user system, it may be desired each user has wheel group membership, while it could even be just another account for the main user (to use for different DE, or testing). If a real other user is not technically trusted, having wheel group, may lead to destroying the system :scream:

Thatā€™s why Calamares may be set to give minimal groups (including just wheel?), while local admin has to find out what/how they want the system to function as multi-user. A utility designed for this purpose would be the best user-friendly/OOTB approach, but still, the admin has to know/learn ā€œwhat is this thing called permissions or groupsā€ :laughing:

2 Likes

Thatā€™s why I said:

1 Like

is a reasonā€¦

1 Like

The advantage of including the sys group by default is that if someone wants to remove wheel which some people do, they can still manage their printers.

4 Likes

That is what led me to ask the question in the first place.

1. What other than Calamares, created the groups by default?
  2. Which package/script created those other groups?
  3. Which groups are actually required?

Nevertheless, this is quite a learning experience.

1 Like

For learning, read Archwiki (the link is given already in a previous post) and thenā€¦ read Archwiki again! :rofl:

2 Likes

and again, and againā€¦ :rofl:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.