AKM A Kernel Manager question

I’m just saying they have the choice to do either. It isn’t installed and some people like bloat! :rofl:

1 Like

Well, that’s fine, the user nobody needs to answer my questions. :stuck_out_tongue:

There is absolutely no reason for me to care about it, I just see it as something utterly absurd, but that’s only me.

I think you are considering your own usage pattern too strongly here.

From your perspective, a kernel install is relatively infrequent.

However, that isn’t the case for many users. Some people are constantly trying new kernels and checking on the version numbers all the time so having the tool installed may make sense in some cases.

2 Likes

There are how many kernels in the repos? 4? :rofl:

It’s either people with very short memory, or people who take a really long time to install a kernel (maybe because they are using the manager application? :laughing: ).

More if you add jonathan’s repos. Having them all in a simple GUI interface is useful for me

Depends which repos you have added. Some of those repos have a ton of kernels in them.

Does it work with third-party repos?

How does the GUI look then? Does it scroll?

Yes, if you add them to pacman. GUI looks good and it does scroll
Screenshot_2022-01-27_13-28-50

3 Likes

It depends which repos you have installed! I have seen LONG lists of kernels in some of them…

I see your point about not needing it for your use - but not everyone is that comfortable with replacing a kernel! - and for others having a list of them visible when deciding is big plus. Yet others will migrate to your view AFTER using AKM a few times to understand what’s going on. Just be glad that a) it’s there, and b) it is not installed by default!

2 Likes

Why not? Why the scary emphasis? What’s the big deal about installing a package!? :scream_cat:

I find this sort of mystification of something trivial and mundane to be very unhelpful to newbies. I think I just causes confusion and lack of confidence.

1 Like

Just go back to your early days - and the kernel was a BIG DEAL. Why, you must be a kernel hacker to change one! No one wants a KERNEL PANIC after all!

It takes a while to get comfortable with changing them (or having them change!) every few days/weeks :grin:

It isn’t like they did not used to be in ROM for heaven’s sake!

Yeah, but that’s all untrue. :thinking:

You don’t replace a kernel, you install an additional one and try to boot it, if it does not work, you still have the old one that works. You don’t have to be any sort of a hackerman to do it, if you can install the kernel manager application, you can install a kernel, too.

Instead of dispelling the misunderstanding and irrational fear, why play into it?

1 Like

Making it easy, thus helping to make it understandable, is not really playing into a viewpoint. Whereas the ‘aggressive’ refutation by someone already comfortable with the reality might come across as elitist instead - not a pond-friendly characteristic (whatever the size of the pond). Just saying… :grin:

You’re confusing being friendly with being patronizing.

Patronizing:

Yeah, I know you’re just a newbie, so here is an application that in reality makes nothing easier on you, but you should believe that it does, because you’re scared of your own shadow. Please continue to be deluded and scared, so that I feel smart in your presence, little newbie! Linux is very difficult, after all! Terminal? Oh no, that’s too scary and difficult for the likes of you, you would have to type letters! Better leave that only to 1337 haxxxors like me. Look, I’m so helpful to you!

Friendly:

Hi, welcome to the forum. You can install the LTS kernel with

sudo pacman -S linux-lts linux-lts-headers

Post-transaction hooks will take care of updating your bootloader config, so just reboot and choose a different kernel. If it does not work, reboot again and choose the old one, then post about it here.

There’s a difference.

Relevant meme: Share Your Linux Memes - #400 by Kresimir

3 Likes

Very true - but I was talking about perception here! We all suspect that a true elitist wouldn’t answer the question at all, in reality! Guy number one in your scenario would be in line for a dunking in the pond (at the very least) - especially here!

Anyway - you don’t need it, and many other don’t too - but some can find it useful, especially when faced with a multitude of options… and when they choose the right one they don’t have to watch for a typo! :grin:

1 Like

Haha i get home to check the forum and i notice all the replies lol.

The older i get i like easy lol, using the terminal doesn’t bother me it was updating grub i forgot the command and figured heck why not just use akm. Its like installing pure Arch how many people do it “The Arch Way” compared to how many just run Archfi/ArchDi. Even easier is using the EOS iso to install any DE/WM. But for me i just like simple/easy these days i guess, i really want to use EOS version of i3 but not sure i want to have to learn key binds to move windows/work spaces ect… :+1:t3: :smiley:

You need some years on the odometer to truly appreciate laziness! I have more than enough - to the point where I create some ways to be lazy myself!

1 Like

I like doing things the hard way. Trying to remember it is the problem! :thinking:

1 Like

I can remember the hard way - I have it written down and stored! Of course - then I have to remember where it is and what I called it…

1 Like

You would think it would be easy because i don’t know that much! :rofl:

1 Like