After suspend & resume: ethernet network does not establish

Have you booted into the other installation and checked if it is using the same module?

sudo nano /etc/modprobe.d
unless you use vim…

Exactly so switch to the r8169 module.

Edit:
sudo modprobe -r r8168

sudo modprobe r8169

Edit: See if it works after. Actually i should have said to remove the r8168 first.

It was probably because there was an update to the r8168 module. Or it’s because you reinstalled and the r8169 doesn’t work for most so i think the r8168 was added to the ISO packages. and you would have had to do exactly what you are doing if it didn’t work on your hardware. It’s just one of those issues that one has to deal with; with hardware. :grin:

Edit: Some users hardware doesn’t work with the r8169 and some don’t work with the r8168

I’m not sure because the fact is that hardware can use either or? as far as i know? I think you could remove the r8168 if you wanted.

Edit: But it may be a dependency of the printer packages or something else so maybe not? But…i’m thinking you can.

No that just removes the module but it is in the packages. I looked in pamac and i have it on mine.

[ricklinux@eos-xfce ~]$ inxi -n
Network:   Device-1: Broadcom and subsidiaries BCM4360 802.11ac Wireless Network Adapter 
           driver: wl 
           IF: wlan0 state: dormant mac: xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx 
           Device-2: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet driver: r8168 
           IF: enp39s0 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx 
[ricklinux@eos-xfce ~]$ 

I am using the r8168 and i have the Broadcom chip for wifi

Edit:
You may not be able to remove it! But you could black list it.

No i know it’s just something that can be done. Not suggesting you need to. I wouldn’t worry too much as you know what’s going on now.

Edit: As long as it’s working for you now you should be good.

1 Like

Your time and answers are gratefully appreciated. Thanks

SOLVED (see msg #1)

2 Likes

Didn’t you try the solution described here then? https://forum.manjaro.org/t/solved-r8168-ethernet-cannot-connect-after-resume-from-sleep/92212/26

Thanks for posting the solution, I was going crazy trying to figure out why the network was “connected” but not working at all… uninstalling the r8169 package and rebooting fixed the problem.

1 Like

It is gratifying that the problem has finally been resolved.