After suspend & resume: ethernet network does not establish

well, after a self-inflicted error I reinstalled endeavouros-2020.05.08-x86_64.iso via online method with KDE Plasma DE

the good news is the install went perfect and included all up-to-date packages

the issue that surfaced is after I suspend and later resume, the ethernet network connection does not re-establish

SOLUTION – remove installed r8168 package, if present.

Please refer to “How to include systemlogs in your post.”; we’ll need these to get to the bottom of what is happening.

To restrict your output to the relevant information you could try something like …

journalctl -t systemd-sleep
to see when you last suspended and resumed and then limit your journalctl information to shortly before suspend and after resume; e. g.
journalctl --since "2020-07-06 22:45:00" --until "2020-07-08 22:00:00"

Do not post this information here directly; instead read about how to “Pastebin” this information in the above link.

1 Like

Is unplugging / connecting the utp cable not an option?

I found these, it would be worth checking to see if there is an answer to your problem in them as well. https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=234725 https://forum.manjaro.org/t/no-ethernet-network-connection-after-resume-very-recent-problem/53197

Nothing, really long to read. (Tl dr) Anyway, after returning from sleep, does it happen every time that there is no ethernet connection, or just randomly?

after one restart with normal wired network connection, every time unit is put into suspend and subsequently restarted the wired Ethernet does not connect

the “nmcli” command returns that the wired connection is “getting IP configuration”

Hello @garybean

What does this show?

lspci -v

you would like the entire result or a particular part?

Actually i looked at the logs and i see you have r8168 module? Did you have this issue before or just since reinstalling?

I just wanted to see what ethernet adapter it is? So that is the only section needed.

Edit: You could create a service file like this for suspend & resume. Your adapter’s designation is different than “enp6s0” you will need to substitute you own adapter’s ID into the service file.

Yours is i think enp8s0 from your logs?

lspci -v
Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 15)
Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device 205f
Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 70, IOMMU group 13
I/O ports at d000 [size=256]
Memory at fc804000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
Memory at fc800000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
Capabilities:
Kernel driver in use: r8168
Kernel modules: r8169, r8168

nmcli
enp8s0: connected to Wired connection 1
“Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411”
ethernet (r8168), 04:D9:F5:BA:D4:46, hw, mtu 1500
ip4 default
inet4 192.168.1.82/24

after suspend: nmcli
enp8s0: connecting (getting IP configuration) to Wired connection 1

You have a few choices. You could try the r8169. It works for some. Not for others. You could also try the r8168-dkms or you could try creating the suspend resume service as outlined in the link i posted.

I do have a “test/standby” installation of EndeavourOS that is updated close to the same frequency as my “main” installation – it does NOT exhibit the same loss of ethernet network connectivity after a sleep/suspend action.

I am quite puzzled by what may have been either a package introduction/change/elimination, or whether a different setting has been introduced.

1 Like

Same machine?

Moving to kernel and hardware…

same machine, different partitions

Is it the same hardware?
Edit: You are saying another installation on the same machine?

just the one computer with two installations of EndeavourOS on different partitions

Can you check if either one of these modules are blacklisted in /etc/modprobe.d

/etc/modprobe.d/
no files