After successful login, desktop takes long time to load

Hello everyone.

I installed eos about a month or so with the online installer and installed XFCE.
I decided to try GNOME today, so I followed the instructions to install GNOME.

Log out and go to log into GNOME and after successful login, it takes forever to show the desktop. No output, just blank/black screen for about 2 minutes before it shows me the desktop. Once the desktop shows, everything else works perfectly fine.

After extensive DuckDuckGoing(?), I ran systemd-analyze critical-chain and it seems to be fine. Completes within 3 seconds.
And systemd-analyze blame spits out a bunch of information about dev-disk-by\x2d stuff that I am not sure what it is about.

Here are the outputs:

I have 3 drives in this computer.
/dev/nvme0n1 is my Windows boot drive
/dev/sda2 is my Windows ‘storage’ device
/dev/sdb is my EndeavourOS.
The /dev/nvme0n1 and /dev/sda2 are not set to mount on boot…

It seems it is trying to load something, but I do not know what it could be.

Any help would be appreciated! :slight_smile:

Update: I think it may be to do with the newer nvidia drivers. I have 550.90.07-4 installed.
I tried to revert it (incl. nvidia-utils and lib32-nvidia-utils) to 550.78 with eos-downgrade and that just gave me a blinky character before gdm started.

So I went into Ctrl+Alt+F2 and re-updated the drivers back to the latest and have been able to boot back in successfully (with the same 2-minute start up time issue)

Other forums (incl the main Arch Linux forum, Linux Mint and Level1Techs) are guiding me in a direction that it either might be nvidia or fsck related.
Although I could be incorrect.

For help, here is the output of /etc/fstab in case there is anything there of any significance.

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# Use 'blkid' to print the universally unique identifier for a device; this may
# be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name devices that works even if
# disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
#
# <file system>             <mount point>  <type>  <options>  <dump>  <pass>
UUID=9EDA-8B0B                            /efi           vfat    fmask=0137,dmask=0027 0 2
UUID=2fff54a8-71bb-4855-bbb8-9f6e1fe3d567 /              ext4    noatime    0 1
tmpfs                                     /tmp           tmpfs   defaults,noatime,mode=1777 0 0

I had similar issues with my NVIDIA card. Switching to X11 instead of Wayland fixed it.

I am using X11.

After reading more and more into this, I think nvidia is broken somewhere along the line… Hopefully this cleared up and sorted soon :slight_smile:

I left this for a week and I have finally fixed it.

The issue: gvfs-daemon that is part of GNOME if you follow the instructions from discovery on how to install another DE

It was this post over on the XFCE forums which nailed it down to gvfs-daemon.

So I uninstalled gnome with pacman -Rsn gnome, rebooted and logging into XFCE took seconds.

Hopefully this will help someone in the future.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.