Accidentally deleted usr or something in usr. Can't boot or chroot

Okay that is for updating but what if you need to install a package?

1 Like

I supposed OP needs full sync :person_shrugging:

This is sort of what i thought but not sure as i have never used this before. Didn’t realize you needed the /mnt as i thought if you mount the / would suffice.

I think you are confused, (just a little :smiley_cat: )?

You mount a partition onto a mount point (folder).
If you don’t point the folder (mount point) to pacman, it cannot know where the --root is. :person_shrugging:

You are using a terminal in the Live ISO (other system), without chrooting.

Ya It’s easy to be confused. I guess what you mean is because you haven’t arch-chrooted it wouldn’t install it because it doesn’t find the /

Or am i still confused and dumb founded? :laughing:

Edit: Well i guess i am then…

1 Like

Someday I will be smarter…
I keep telling myself …
Someday!

Edit:

Maybe not … :rofl:

2 Likes

No. I am sorry I brought you in a bad mood. :cry:
I thought the emojis reactions were clear, but there is no pointing finger that points around the last text row :rofl:

I try to minimize posting, when it’s a yes or no, but we also need questions that conform, too.
If asking “Am I right or wrong”, I can’t answer in binary :+1: :-1:
:joy:

1 Like

No bad mood here. It’s just funny to me because I know so little in the grand scheme of things. :wink:

2 Likes

Me too, I know what I’m doing until I don’t

1 Like

Well, it’s 10x worse to try to work vicariously across a forum vs working on your own installation.

1 Like

You got that right. :wink:

Hey guys, thanks for trying to help me. I ended up formatting everything and reinstalling. The good news is that I barely had anything to begin with on my laptop since it’s not my main computer. If anyone wanted to know how it happened I was trying to move directories in Nerdtree in neovim… well somehow I deleted an entire directory by accident instead. I guess what I learned is 1. back up your dotfiles at the very least 2. read carefully.

I don’t understand linux users and these dotfiles? :thinking:

I would add:
Don’t run neovim, or any program with sudo.
Whatever needs admin/root/sudo privileges, should be run as a terminal command.