Accesing seperate hardrive after fresh install

Hi. just installed the endeavorOS, using the cinnamon desktop. new to linux distros so both overwhelmed and excited. anyway before i reformatted my old hardrive i moved all my files onto a seperate hardrive hoping to recover them ocne installation is complete. is there a way to do this?

thanks

Welcome to the forum! :smile:

And your question: yes. How to to that depends on what you have.

Some questions:

• I assume you can boot EndeavourOS properly, right?
  • Is the other harddrive formatted in Windows as NTFS?

Basically you need to add an entry to your /etc/fstab file that mounts the other drive to a mount point (=an existing empty folder on your EndeavourOS system). In /etc/fstab you must give some easy options for the drive depending on how it is formatted.

You can see manual pages which describe the options needed:

man fstab
 man mount

When this is properly done, you should be able to use the drive essentially like any folder on your system.

If you need more details, don’t hesitate to ask! We have many helpful and skillful community members that are willing to assist. :sweat_smile:

wow, a very quick reply. much appreciated!

to answer your questions…yes i boot into EndeavourOS. and honestly i wouldn’t know what the format version would be, i would just assume its the one by default. is there a way to check?

and now you’re beginning to lose me. i managed to type man fstab into the command box thingy, but honestly have no idea what i am even meant to be looking at :confused:

edit i found the fstab file in file system director, but didnt understand completly what you wanted me to do with it

OK. There are wiki articles about the things you ask, and more. You can easily search them at https://discovery.endeavouros.com.

Here is a useful articles:
https://discovery.endeavouros.com/storage-and-partitions/how-to-permanently-mount-external-internal-drives-in-linux/2022/02

One easy way to manage drives and partitions is using program called gparted.

Please try that, it provides lots of info about your disks. But be a bit careful not to modify anything (it should ask for a password before doing any permanent changes).

I assume your Windows drive has mostly NTFS partitions, and a vfat (or FAT32) partition.

There are some useful commands like:

• df -hT (shows information about mounted partitions)
  • lsblk -fm (shows information about all disks and their partitions, mounted or not)

With the help of these (and probably some other) tools you’ll soon see what identifiers you should be using when making “permanent” mounts in /etc/fstab.

(Sorry, I have to leave now for a couple of hours. Hopefully some other community members can help you further.)