About AUR package manager

hi guys . i am new to EOS . i having a confusion while installing packages via AUR package manager .
[user@host ~]$ yay -S ffuf
AUR Explicit (1): ffuf-2.1.0-1
Sync Make Dependency (1): go-2:1.22.2-1
:: (1/1) Downloaded PKGBUILD: ffuf
1 ffuf (Build Files Exist)
==> Packages to cleanBuild?
==> [N]one [A]ll [Ab]ort [I]nstalled [No]tInstalled or (1 2 3, 1-3, ^4)

in here what should i select. should i press enter to skip this prompt .

==> Diffs to show?
==> [N]one [A]ll [Ab]ort [I]nstalled [No]tInstalled or (1 2 3, 1-3, ^4)

in here also ? give the best practice way to do this

thanks .

You should just press enter unless there is a problem building.

You should press A. You should always review the diffs. Although the first time you install a package it will be the whole thing.

thanks for the reply man. if i am press enter then. will it just skip or ? automatically select any option above ?

It will choose “None”

1 Like

thanks man

1 Like

If you press Enter both times it will install the packages, without any issues.

However, in the second step it is best to press A, which will allow you to review changes from the previous version of the package.

Basically, because AUR is not maintained by Arch, but by the community, each package in there is managed by individual users, the burden of checking the content of the package falls on you, the end user. It is also recommended to check the AUR page of the package and see what other users say about it. You can also check the AUR page of the package when you encounter problems with the install of a certain packages.

That being said I’m a lazy person and am not following this advice myself (I usually just press enter 2 times, except when I rebuild a package because of some errors and need a clean build). But I do occasionally check packages which seem risky to me.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.