A worthwhile Endeavour

Hi all!

I’ve tried many different flavours of Linux over the years (all the way back to, I believe, Slackware in ~2001… showing my age now :older_adult:) but I’ve never managed to stick with one for longer than a few weeks before finding a snag that I couldn’t seem to overcome, or missing a particular piece of software that there just didn’t seem to be a usable equivalent for outside of a Windows environment.

Now that I’m a lot older and wiser (and the wider world of software has matured alongside me!) it seemed like a perfect time to try and really commit to a change, especially with further advances in Windows pointing towards further erosion of user privacy and control over their own data, and after a few weeks of research (and a couple of false starts with other distributions) I’ve been successfully running EndeavourOS for about 2 months. and I have no plans to go back.

I’ve managed to find workable fixes for just about every issue that I’ve come up against by using these forums (and the very well-resourced arch wiki!) and I’ve benefited from being able to just ask a simple question here and get a very straightforward answer, so I figured since I’d registered now I’d also say hello and join the chorus of thankful users :smiley:

17 Likes

when I turned my back on win I resisted the temptation to run back several times but I stuck it out in the brave new linux world making do with what I had. It sounds, from your letter, you have reached that point too so congrats. This forum will absolutely help your experience in every way. It’s a great distro. :purple_heart:

4 Likes

Welcome @z580c

Have fun being part of the endeavouros endeavour.
As you say, it’s a great distro and its community is a welcoming bunch.

4 Likes

@z580c

Welcome to the EndeavourOS forum. I hope you enjoy your time here.

Pudge

4 Likes

Welcome @z580c :wave: Enjoy the purple ride :enos_flag:

3 Likes

Welcome @z580c to the :enos:-Forum!

3 Likes

Hello an welcome @z580c to the forum and also to this very nice Linuxdistro. :enos:

2 Likes

Welcome to the EndeavourOS family, @z580c! :enos:

:enos_flag:

2 Likes

Welcome to the purple side! :enos: :enos_flag:
The best Linux distro! :enos: and greatest community!

2 Likes

Welcome to the dark side @z580c , there’s no going back.

2 Likes

After a career that involved developing software on Linux/UNIX, I retired and set up a couple of personal dual-booted systems: a laptop and desktop running both Windows and EndeavourOS. As I’m sure you’ve discovered, EndeavourOS is nice because it provides the precision and documentation of the reliable Arch distro, while yielding a usable desktop environment immediately on installation. Setting up EndeavourOS was much easier than configuring a tame Windows system. I’ve been very pleased with endeavourOS and this forum. Welcome.

3 Likes