A wild Windows user has challenged us. Quick, what are your responces?

I can think of

being open source(the OS and kernel is open,more devs)
you have more control over the OS and your data
Updating the OS and apps
integrated package manager
being on more platforms than x86
Desktop environments
multiply filesystems (not stuck on NTFS)
not being hostile to end user (EULA, control of updates for consumer, telemetry etc…)
lack of Microsoft controlling you

I use Azure and the backend/CLI is linux based
the network SDN is closer to Unix

Linux is free as well - both in cost and ownership

Better security (can be debate but the history of *Nix like and philosophy makes it more secure)

I use Windows and Linux both for my IT job

3 Likes

All the new tech Win10 users are so proud of it got from Linux where we used the stuff since years already.

4 Likes

ArchLinux users are sexy and intelligent! Beat that, Windoze.

5 Likes

Windows can play games!

Linux can play Windows… :smiley:

I do everything on Linux. The one thing I can’t really run straight out of the gate on Linux is COD Warzone, so I play it on a Windows VM. On Linux.

4 Likes

With all this challenging and arguing, I think they have a bit of a fascination with linux, lol …

betty boop call me

And, after all, linux is on all the world’s servers, so where’s the challenge? :rofl: :beers:

8 Likes

Many times Windows updates doesn’t work! Many times updates won’t install! You get generic error messages that tell you nothing! You get Blue screen of Death! You get spinning circle going round and round & nothing happens. 30 years of it!

It takes way too long most of the time to install updates. They are not installed individually but all lumped together in a bowl like salad called a culmulative updates. Most of the time it tastes awful because they forgot the salad dressing! Windows won’t swallow it! It gets thrown back in your face with errors. They use crappy salad dressing! (code)

They never liked Linux because it was different! Now they want to be friends. Linux remembers. It has good recall! It was always better! It was just different. Now it’s the best!

5 Likes

Many non arch users believe that arch Linux has a tendency to break after every other update. Really that’s way too far from the truth. Arch is stable.

On the other hand, Windoze does want to break every now and then, and if not break, it atleast takes an awful lot of time to update, and you cannot use your PC while the update is being applied (the last time I checked)

4 Likes

I know a school kid, who did her online classes on windoze laptop. One day, windoze decided to update at the time she had to give an online exam. She was crying because she studied hard but couldn’t give the exam.

Dunno whether to pity her or laugh because her parents trusted Microsoft with their kid’s education.

1 Like

They call it getting WinDOZED - like by a Cat D9 :grin:

2 Likes

One thing I’ve noticed over the 3 years since to Linux is how many graphics tablets users have issues only on Windows, as I did in the final months. 99.9% of the threads I see, even if they don’t say Windows at first, I know it’s that … the updates wreck any driver installs and settings.

On Linux, the graphics tablet drivers in the kernel are very stable, and then it’s often just a case of installing digimend (for previous Ugee display tablet that was the only install needed). With the newer deco 01, a couple more packages and 2 config files copied over is necessary (driver still in development). Once a graphics tablet is working on Linux, it’s solid as a rock, which is entirely the opposite to Windows.

2 Likes

Funny thing is that most LInux users know more about Windows, than the average Windows users themselves…

13 Likes

Yes, many new users coming over to Linux are learning about things like the kernel, terminal, packages etc for the first time.

1 Like

11 Likes

On linux I can uninstall Microsoft Edge. Even though it would be pretty stupid to install it in the first place. :rofl:

The major problem I have with the original statement is that Windows lacks documentation - especially for the basic stuff (setup firewall, setup different static networks, create timed action like cron, change default system font and locales, explain what “runtime error 5” means, …). So how is it good to me that W10 can do something too if I can’t learn about it.
On the other hand there is Arch wiki.

4 Likes

Sorry, but this is not a problem from windows but from the users that do not know how to configure M$ update correct. Some years ago they added a feature called working or business hours. W10 will only reboot outside this times for the installation of updates. My remaining W10 installations do have business hours from 05:00 to 23:00. That should be enough.

2 Likes

How should I set the time if I expect the computer to work 24/7 (maybe with a small Saturday update)? :crazy_face:

Pay for Windows Server :frowning:

7 Likes

What a great first post! :laughing:
Welcome :partying_face:

1 Like

My response would be “meh, use what you like”.

4 Likes

No, they don’t have a life…

16 Likes