A Manjaro refugee, part duex

Gobble gobble!

Welcome aboard!

1 Like

Few weeks ago as i started my distro research i even checked out Manjaro. Watched the vids on their web site and thought WOW! Cool Distro. Then i read their Forum and Reddit channel and BOOOM!: The distro update broke many nvdidia systems because they drop “support” for “older” Nvidia cards. Actually no problem, AUR helps out. But the strange mood in their community and to know that the devs leaves users alone with such a major change was the reason for me to look further. Luckily for me i found EOS :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Manjaro support longer then arch older nvidia drivers but on somepoint it become dificult to support it.

if a aur package get dropped cause of maintainer manjaro going quicker to drop it too. for older cards is on nonfree drivers uncertain but on some level nouveau get more support on older cards…:slight_smile:

For rest Welcome to the @op :slight_smile:

Sure, but there’s always a way to replace packages and so not end up breaking hundreds (or more) of installs.

3 Likes

With each other distro I totally agree with you. But Manjaro advertises that drivers and kernels can magically be auto-installed and changed with just a few clicks.

I can understand the frustration of the users concerned. It would have been better to wait with the release and provide users with solutions beforehand.

@Transitman50 Sorry for misusing your thread :beers:

For sure the manjaro forum has a weird vibe. Spending some time in our forum here, its really the best community and nicest forum available, haven’t seen anything that beats this on other distros. For sure the maintainers here care and people help you within 24h which is awesome!

My experience on manjaro forum was that I provided help to 3 people, one of my posts was even added to the wiki. When I asked a question I got zero answers. :-1: I also saw a lot of users/posts saying “this or that is not working and if you do not help me I will quit manjaro and hop to another distro to get some attention (And by the way I did not do any research on my own because I am lazy)”. Sorry for my mini rant but that is really from an observer perspective, rarely see this here… That being said manjaro folks are doing a great job, it’s a beautiful distro. But for me EOS is cleaner, things are not hidden, more vanilla and to me more stable.

2 Likes

For sure EOS Forum has the most relaxed atmosphere. On another forum that shall remain nameless the very first time I asked a question the first reply was a terse suggestion that I research it myself and report my findings. I had already Googled the issue extensively, read the Wiki, searched the Forum archive, and was out of ideas. It was a help Forum so silly me–I thought they wanted to help. Instead, I felt like a pest for bugging them with my stupid, unimportant problem. By contrast the EOS Forum feels like I’m visiting my favorite pub. Besides, since I installed EOS I haven’t had any problems–so there’s that too.

6 Likes

That’s very common there, I’m afraid… It wasn’t like that just a year ago. But many members who were very helpful and provided dozens, if not hundreds of “solutions”, migrated to this forum, as well as to the Garuda Linux forum, ever since the old forum closed and the new one, without an off-topic section, was opened.

The lesson is simple: nobody is going to do tech-support for your distro for free. If you want knowledgeable people to stick around and answer questions that the newbies ask, you have to provide them something of value: a good community which is fun to be a part of. That is what makes off-topic sections, like the Lounge here, essential.

Its fate should be a warning: an active community takes years to build, but can crumble to dust in days, due to a simple, but very poor decision made by the admins.

14 Likes

Welcome, good to have you with us!

Just to point out generally, unless you say that you’ve already done research, what you’ve found, and what you’ve tried, the person on the other end won’t have any idea.

(Example of a question that is essentially unanswerable: “I’ve researched for hours and tried literally everything, still doesn’t work, any ideas?”)

2 Likes

back to the topic: welcome @Transitman50 :upside_down_face:

1 Like

If you want people to rtfm the write a better fm

He was explaining the meaning not making a statement of fact.

2 Likes

I think it was making light of RTFM. :wink:

I used to be a lurker. :rofl: Used Manjaro once upon a time. Oh…yes i still have it installed on one computer. Oops! :pleading_face: Sorry … I won’t do it again. Now I’m a desktop hopper! We have plenty to go around here.

1 Like

Actually, the FM is written for you, out of the kindness of its author’s heart, nobody owes you support for software you have not paid for, the fact someone took the time to write the FM is something you should be grateful for.

But, if you don’t want to RTFM, that’s entirely up to you. :man_shrugging:t3:

1 Like

And let’s face it - FM is bloat, you should just read code and make your own decisions like a grown adult, take some risks for crying out loud! :robot:

?

:clown_face:

2 Likes

That’s the suckless way!

Documentation? Oh, you mean the source code, yeah we have that! :frog:

2 Likes

Let’s face it …we all don’t read code…we all don’t do code. At least not well or not much or none at all. Not ALL Linux users are Terminators. Most Linux users just want to Learn something. It doesn’t mean they want to spend their time RTFM or learning code. They just want to use Linux and understand things and it’s not easy for a lot of people. Everyone learns their own way. Sometimes the hard way. :rofl:

2 Likes