A little rant about Konsole

Then it happens: My red, dry and tired eyes catch a glimpse of text that looks suspicious. An error message?

It’s for exactly this reason that good people wrote the ‘tee’ utility, which humble developers like myself use daily to keep e.g. build logs accessible.

1 Like

Yet, you think you speak for the majority of users when you discuss defaults…

thinking_72

5 Likes

A precaution measure.
There are scripts or apps that may have a bug, with a non-ending loop. Some DEs, WMs, or HW may not have the abilities to get you out of it and the system may freeze.

Imaginary example?

1 Like

@anthony93 Thx dude! Looks like you’re the only one who understands my point regarding the cut off error message!

While this is a fair argument I think there are better solutions for this. Why not, for example, keep the output connected to the last 3 (or 2 or 4 or 5) commands and discard the rest? Better than hard limit on lines. And if, for some cases in this example, a hard limit still makes sense, then make it at least a bit higher.

No

That’s maybe the best answer so far! But as I said in my answer to @dalto , at least set a larger number then.

Oh, BTW, thx @Schlaefer for opening the bug report at KDE!

And @all : If the limit is set to 1000 lines per default one could also argue that maybe the output is a bit excessive? I mean, I did just update my system and I couldn’t see the message I was looking for afterwards, so there were more than 1000 lines of output. Is this really necessary for a system update?

1 Like

I found out the hard way using unlimited can also lead to a frozen system. Some programs when building have so much code they can wipe out you free ram before they finish building. I’ve locked the system up a couple of times this way.

2 Likes

Damn, that really shouldn’t happen with access to the hive mind. Guess you guys need to assimilate a few more Linux users :wink: :vulcan_salute:

1000 is a bit small by today’s standards. 1000 lines x 270 characters per line (on my 1080p monitor, that is) is not even 1 MiB. Good thing is you can change it or disable altogether.

Terrible idea. You can’t possibly know how long a standard output of some programl will be. It can easily be infinitely long. Take, for example, the yes utility…

Anything other than a hard limit or writing to disk is equivalent to a memory leak that crash your OS.

Another problem is that the terminal emulator typically does not know which output is connected to which running process.

3 Likes

Take a good read of Kresimir’s post above this one.

I’ve been using tilix a lot recently when I’m not using the ddterm extension. . . (please don’t hate me).

1 Like

Yeah. Thx for the explanation. But I already thought that there may be cases where this doesn’t work. That’s why I wrote

Anyhow, I see that I couldn’t achive here what I was hoping for and I’m afraid that further discussion(?) won’t help. For the time being I will run in background mode. I leave it up to the mods to keep the thread open or close it. Thx everybody!

Alternatively write alias for .bashrc (bash run commands) hidden file.

alias y='yay -Syu | tee -a terminal.log'

or always use home (~) folder :

alias y='yay -Syu | tee -a ~/terminal.log'

if we are curious about the times :

alias y='date >> terminal.log && yay -Syu | tee -a terminal.log && date >> terminal.log'

This is pretty useless on several levels. First, just running yay without any arguments runs, by default, yay -S -y -u. Next, saving the output to a log file, is not necessary. All the important parts are saved to /var/log/pacman.log.

2 Likes

@Piglet Indeed. There is also a very useful tool to help you filter pacman log entries; it’s called paclog

https://man.archlinux.org/man/paclog.1.en

2 Likes

Or, depending on needs, endeavouros/pahis, which can quickly track the history of a package or such.

1 Like

I didn’t know such a tool exist until now. Thanks for the info.

1 Like

Sorry I’m a bit late to this (entertaining & informative) thread …

On the original topic, having tried a few alternatives to konsole (after seeing rave reviews of said alternatives on the 'tube), I’ve come back to konsole and am happier than ever.

Simply getting rid of pesky menus/scrolls makes it fit nicely into my wmi3 text-centric environment. Although it’s highly customizable, many of the defaults aren’t too bad, yet can be easily tweaked to suit one’s preferences.

Most importantly: it’s fast, lightweight, and effective at doing whatever I need a terminal emulator to do without fuss.

And as noted above, the scrollback buffer and var/log/pacman.log cover any concerns about one’s ability to look back in history.

konsole is a gem
:man_shrugging:

3 Likes

Ive only used konsole for a short time, so i can only say so much and take it with a grain of salt.

I dont believe the limit on konsole to be much if any less than gnome-terminal or gnome-console for example. Gnome even goes so far as to set a hard limit of 10k lines but default is around 1k or so i believe.

I can understand the frustration wanting to see the output, but if it was pacman wouldnt you just check the log or yay log? Its been said a few times but without a limit it would just balloon memory usage and 1000 lines is fairly sane and why logs exist. Infinite output on even a modern system doesnt work as even modern systems have finite resources.

I would adjust the line limit to fit your needs and check logs otherwise

1 Like