A couple of queries regarding triple booting EOS with Ubuntu&Windows

I’m planning to triple boot EOS, along with Ubuntu and Windows. I have a ryzen mobile cpu and a Nvidia GPU. So a couple of queries regarding EndeavourOS installation When I installed Ubuntu, I had to do MOK management. This is crucial in order to get support for Nvidia gpus from what I understood I was looking up MOK for Endeavour, but cannot find anything if I type those two words together on google Does this mean, MOK is not needed and just installing nvidia-installer-dkms will be enough to get my Nvidia gpu up and running?(I have an AMD integrated gpu, and a nvidia external one). I have 32 gigs of ram, so I don’t think I need swap. In the Calamares installer, how do I bypass the step where it asks me to set swap?(I’m concerned it’ll automatically set swap, damaging something). Also, what do I need to do with grub to ensure that Kernel won’t panic? I understand that installing a new distro automatically pushes it’s grub to the top of the bootloader order. How do I check this? Also after I log back into Ubuntu how do I ensure that it’s grub doesn’t give me any problems?

MOK is for the case that you want to have Secure-Boot enabled. This is not the case for EnOS/Arch(default).
Read more or search yourself.

Until it does panic, we can’t know. There are no :crystal_ball: available around for the current month. :smile:

You should ask Ubuntu support about that.

@MarcoAsensio
I don’t know much about MOK but you can disable secure boot. Here is a better explanation from Ubuntu wiki. Turn off secure boot and i assume MOK isn’t used?

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UEFI/SecureBoot/DKMS

You can just disable/remove Ubuntu’s Grub and let EnOS’ Grub to run the whole of bootloading process for all your three operating system.

In the past, dualbooting Ubuntu (-based) and Arch (-based) systems, I started the Ubuntu installer with ubiquity -b. This would mean that the system wasn’t installed with a bootloader at all.

Later, I just updated the Grub in my Arch(-based) system and it would pick up the Ubuntu install.

Don’t know anymore if Ubuntu is still using ubiquity and/or the -b option is still available.

There are so many different ways to handle this setup that it is easier to make only a few ‘possible’ suggestions.

1. If possible, have Windows installed first.
  2. Have secure boot (and fast boot, if present) turned off
  3. As Ubuntu does not seem to know how to boot an Arch-based system, don’t let it take control! (Remove or disable grub, etc).
  4. Another alternative to grub problems is to use rEFInd for boot selection (see articles on our wiki (Discovery)
  5. learn about efibootmgr in case of boot order problems coming anyway. Also - some BIOSs allow easy boot order manipulation - ASUS for one.
  6. If you make a swap partition for one Linux - they all can use it automatically without further action. It is just a ‘scratchpad’, and on a multiboot only one can use it at a time.
  7. Feel free to ask if a specific problem arises - specific answer are often available here!

If it were me I would make sure secure boot is off as you don’t need it for Windows to work or Ubuntu and then you could install refind on EndeavourOS and use it as the boot manager. It gives you the option to boot from the grubx64.efi or the vmlinuz-linux image file. When it boots it boots to refind and then you can access Windows or Ubuntu or EOS from an Icon. Really it’s your choice. You can just use grub also and boot any OS from a grub menu. Install EOS last and let it control the boot. Then if you decide you can install refind to it and then it will be the boot manager. refind is very simple to install. Best thing is to disable os-prober on Ubunto so it doesn’t get updated and take over the boot. Then if and when you decide to use refind you should have no problems. I have triple boot myself using refind.

I myself use swap files vs swap partitions.

One more alternative if you want Ubuntu’s grub in charge of booting (but not recommended…).

You can write a grub menu entry into file

/boot/grub/custom.cfg

in Ubuntu either manually or by copying the grub menu entry from EndeavourOS grub.cfg into that custom.cfg.
It should create a new grub menu entry under Ubuntu’s grub menu that is able to start EndeavourOS correctly.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.