5.10.3.zen-1 or Xfce updates? 20% less memmory use

I just noticed that after upgrading to 5.10 today my Xfce install uses on average 20% less memory than yesterday.
Anyone knows if this is in some changelog for either the kernel or Xfce 4.16?

Much more logical is Xfce instead of the kernel. Xfce moved to Gtk3 with version 4.16, so that’s a very different jump than a kernel maintenance release.

Whether Gtk3 needs less resources, I don’t think so. :wink: But you will have used Gtk3-based programs before and Gtk2-based ones in addition. Probably there is less “double” loading now.

Downgrade the kernel and find out, only real way to be sure.

2 Likes

@otherbarry, seriously? Therefore?

Also, there is a new kernel 5.10.4.arch2-1 today, yesterday there was already 5.10.4-arch1-1 (with testing is enabled). Likewise, there has been a new mesa version yesterday and today.

Yes. Two variables have changed. To find out which of the two was responsible, remove the other.

It’s easier to switch kernel than to downgrade the whole of Xfce, so that is a sensible option.

5 Likes

I haven’t really checked, but I also use XFCE and the new zen kernel. I haven’t really noticed anything, but I only cap my RAM when working on assignments. If the memory consumption has been reduced, that’s great!

1 Like

While this is true, I have justified why a test-based downgrade of the kernel is illogical.

You’re probably in the minority if you’re using Arch testing. Using that as justification for something in Arch stable would be… illogical? :wink:

OP asked about:

therefore those were the two variables under consideration.

1 Like

The kernel as the cause is not logical in his case, but xorg. I have reasoned that.

You reasoned that a reduction in memory use was more likely to be due to Xfce 4.16.0, because

(which is not a strong argument), and dismisses any possible kernel involvement due to it being

However, it is an early point-release where, for example, debugging could have been disabled, or dictionary size for compressed modules reduced (thereby reducing memory use) - or any number of things.

None of that negates the reasoning for removing one variable from the list of changes (and in the case of downgrading the kernel, one which is fairly easy to do).

4 Likes