2021: X11 vs Wayland in GNOME

I got Intel UHD 630 graphics and need fractional scaling 150% or at least 125%. Last time I tried Gnome and Wayland half year ago I got blurry fonts with fractional scaling. Now I heard Ubuntu 21.04 will come with Wayland per default. Is the Wayland fractional scaling blurry font problem solved meanwhile? Should I give it another try?

see this
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=XWayland-Standalone-Ubuntu-Pkg

In my opinion it is solved, but I still do not like it. I simply scaled the fonts by 1,30, and the result is ok for me.

I’ve not had any problems on GNOME Wayland for a long time. My view is: use Wayland as the default session, only log in to an X11 session for a specific use case.

For anything Radeon/Intel, its Wayland all the way.
Never given me any headaches since the day I switched to it …if I remember 2016.

2 Likes

Wayland is working very well on amdgpu. I have tried it myself and the only app i found that isn’t working is screen recording that i have installed. So that i would have to change to one that does work and there are a few.

2 Likes

Can confirm that OBS works on Wayland with amdgpu… was using it a few days ago.

1 Like

Screen recording still requires a switchback to xorg…cant recall any active project that use wayland…Green recorder I think, is not maintained anymore.

Not on OBS.

I have amdgpu and everything works fine except the system hangs out of suspend on Wayland.

@ARoy
Welcome to the forum and thanks for giving EndeavourOS a try. I hope you enjoy your time here.

Pudge